Council Tax Arrears Help

Your council tax bill is a ‘priority debt’, as there can be serious consequences if you can’t pay your arrears. If you fall behind with your council tax it’s important to contact the council and try to make arrangements to clear your arrears. Send them a copy of your budget showing your income and outgoings to show them your situation. If you need help with this or you’re struggling to deal with the arrears we’d recommend getting advice straight away.

Council Tax Debt Help & Advice

Reduce Council Tax Bill
A discount of 25% will apply if there is only one adult over the age of 18. This is known as single person discount. There are also other types of discounts known as status discounts. There are a large number of these so to find out more contact either the council or your local free advice center.
Council Tax Arrears
You can offer an amount you can afford towards your arrears on top of your normal payments, and ask for a special payment arrangement. Try to explain that the amount you are offering will prevent any further arrears and court costs, and negotiate what you can realistically afford.
Council Tax Legal Action
Your council can ask a magistrate for a ‘liability order’ if you owe them unpaid Council Tax. This is a legal demand for payment. The council’s legal costs, eg for hiring a lawyer, may be added to the money you owe. You’re allowed to go to the court and give your reasons for not paying also.

Find A Debt Solution

Free Debt Management Plans

Debt Management Plans are available across the UK. So regardless of where you live in the UK, if you’re struggling to keep up with payments to your debts. Also a DMP could help you to get your financial situation back on track.

Learn More

Debt Consolidation Advice

Consolidating debt usually involves taking out new credit to pay off existing credit. Most people do this to reduce the interest rate on their debt, and to bring down their monthly payments. Also people consolidate to reduce the number of companies they owe money to each month.

Learn More

Individual Voluntary Arrangement 

An Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) is an agreement with your creditors to pay all or part of your debts. You can agree to make regular payments to an insolvency practitioner, who will divide this money between your creditors as well as clear any remaining debt at the end of IVA.

Learn More

Debt Relief Order Advice

A debt relief order can be a low cost alternative to bankruptcy, but is only available to certain people as a criteria. If you owe than £20,000 and live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland then there is a chance you qualify. You don’t pay anything towards your debts for 12 months and the debt is written off after this too.

Learn More

Protected Trust Deed

A trust deed is a legally binding arrangement in Scotland where you make reduced payments over 4 years. Also at the end of this your unsecured debts are usually written off, and your debt show as paid.

Learn More

Need Help With Council Tax Arrears?

If You Can’t Pay Your Council Tax

Ask your council if they’ll let you pay your Council Tax in smaller amounts.  You’ll probably be asked to commit to paying a regular amount each month. If you’re not sure how much you can afford get in touch touch with us for further advice.

When You Miss A Council Tax Payment

You’ll get a reminder from the council about 2 weeks after you miss a payment. If you pay within 7 days, you don’t need to do anything else. The debt will be clear and you’ll be able to continue paying your council tax in installments. If you need further assistance on this contact us straight away.

Find Out If We Can Help Wipe Off Any Of The Balance

 There’re schemes that might help to get a percentage of the debt written if you qualify for government legislation. This scheme usually helps people who have got over £5,000 worth of unsecured debt.

Find Debt Solution


Contact details: